Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Strengths and weaknesses in your writing

Over the past few weeks, I've been writing lots of new things, editing and thinking about how my writing has changed since I signed with Agent A almost one year ago. (Seriously! Wow!) We've all got our writing strengths and weaknesses. Mine? Okay. My strongest writing comes with my plots. When others read my MSS, their first comment is usually, "Wow, I didn't get bored for a second. You kept things moving." Then the next comment is, "But I didn't feel inside the character's head enough." So, strong at plotting and weak with internal emotion. Fixable, right? Sure, and once someone points out your weaknesses, it should only make you more aware of them so they can be addressed. When I first started writing book-length fiction in November 2006, I had no idea how dialogue tags worked. They were a MESS. Now, it's second nature. Don't even notice my tags. Practice definitely pays off.

So, what are the strongest and weakest parts of your writing? Have you mastered something you once struggled with?

P.S. Isn't the class of 2k8 widget (see right and scroll) adorable? It'll show a new book every time you refresh the page! Clever.

8 comments:

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I think I've strengthened in emotional conflict and depth. I used to really struggle with internal conflict. Plot no problem, but I'd leave the emotions behind. Now I've strengthened, and I think I still need work on smoothing out my writing.

Stephanie J said...

Well I'm clearly the opposite of both you and Kelly, Jess! I have definite issues with plotting. Thinking back to the little stories I used to dream up as a child they were always heavily weighted towards the characters. Um, I'll tell you what... how about you send me a bit of that plotting vibe and I'll send a little character vibe... ;)

Barrie said...

Yes, that widget is adorable!

I have a really tough time writing description. And I notice that I often skim over it when reading. Yikes.

Jessica Burkhart said...

Sounds like some of my issues, Kelly. :)

Sure, Steph! Sending it to you now!

I know what you mean, Barrie. I skim over description, too.

Patty Palmer said...

I've struggled with the great plot/weak character problem as well. It took me a while to fix it but I think I'm finally on the right path. Just happened upon your blog...thanks for the post!

Jessica Burkhart said...

Hi Patty! Thanks for stopping by!

Edith said...

Wait, can I ask a dumb question? What is a dialog tag?

Jessica Burkhart said...

It's not a dumb question, Edith. A dialogue tag is "he said" or "she said."

Counting down to Saddlehill Academy!

  Hii, friends! I'm so very thrilled to remind everyone that NEXT MONTH (!!!) is the release of my first novel in eight years! Ahhhhh!!...

Total Pageviews