Saturday, January 5, 2008

Finished Blackheart Mountain!

I'm sooo excited that I just finished the draft of my first ever YA novel, Blackheart Mountain!! Yay! I started it last May while Take the Reins was on submission and thought I'd work on it all summer while waiting for TTR news. Well, you guys know how that turned out so I had to shelve Blackheart while I did edits for TTR and wrote Chasing Blue. But since edits are mostly wrapped up on my end for CB and I felt like a change, I switched over to Blackheart and finally finished it.

It's really, REALLY different from the Canterwood series, I must say. The protags are both sixteen, instead of thirteen, so that alone is a huge shift. Plus, they're allowed to swear and engage in older teen behavior, so that's fun to write! :)

All right. I'm going to watch a movie and then start the editing on Blackheart. Starting edits at page one is always a little scary. You have those moments of "what was I thinking when I wrote this?!" and then those rare "wow, I love that line" thoughts.

Anyone else writing both YA and MG and feel a difference? What's your preference?

And go congratulate Lauren Barnholdt. Her new YA, Two-Way Street, is in its THIRD printing!

9 comments:

Emily Marshall said...

Wow congrats. It's just seems like yesterday that you finished your last book.

I'd love to write a MG someday, but I have too much fun writing for YA right now. But I imagine it would be a definite switch between the two.

Cate Gardner said...

Congratulations Jessica - it's always a fabulous feeling to type 'The End'.

Anonymous said...

That's excellent! You inspire me!

I am loving writing YA. I have found my niche!

Jessica Burkhart said...

It's definitely a switch, Emily. For sure.

Thanks, Cate! :)

Wow, Linda. Thank you! Can't wait for your visit! :)

Barrie said...

Please send me some of your energy in an attachment.
ASAP. Thanks. :)

Jessica Burkhart said...

Okay, Barrie. I'm attaching energy AND coffee. :)

HorseGrl said...

Congralations Jessica, are you having Blackheart Mountain published? LOVE Little White Lies!

Happy New Year!

HorseGrl said...

Congralations Jessica, are you having Blackheart Mountain published? LOVE Little White Lies!

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Hey! My name is Julie & I am writing a book. I am super worried about how it will turn out. Maybe i'll publish it one day but, i'm only 12 years old. Any advice. I love your books and your the best author ever! Good luck with your books.

Counting down to Saddlehill Academy!

  Hii, friends! I'm so very thrilled to remind everyone that NEXT MONTH (!!!) is the release of my first novel in eight years! Ahhhhh!!...

Total Pageviews