Don't worry! Canterwood Crest is FAR from over!
E-novellas to come with stories from Sasha & LT!

Monday, November 19, 2007

The Golden Compass--another Harry Potter like controversy?

I don't want to ruffle any feathers, really, but there's something disturbing (in my opinion) going on. The Golden Compass is being attacked. Yes, people are attacking a children's movie. I've been reading several online threads of support both for and against the movie and I don't know about you, but it feels like Harry Potter resistance all over again. Anyone else notice this?

A thread somewhere got my attention when a poster said something like, "Oh, some parents think if their kid loves the movie, he/she will want to read the book and then will become an atheist." Really? From a children's novel? Huh. And I was under the impression that reading expanded kids' minds and don't we think they're strong enough not to be influenced by everything they read, watch or hear?

I cannot wait to see the movie. I love Nicole Kidman, love the book and think the trailer looks amazing!

If that felt like a rant, well, it was. It seems that some people go waaaay too far and I'm sure the backlash against the movie will only get stronger.

So, what's your take on the situation?

2 shout outs:

Erica Orloff said...

I am disgusted by the controversy--most especially since those screaming the loudest haven't read his work, haven't read his interviews (in which he is against powerful, dogmatic and oppressive institutions that are corrupt--versus a blanket statement of atheism) and want something banned or boycotted that they aren't intelligent enough to debate on its intellectual merits.
E

Jessica Burkhart said...

Exactly, Erica! Thank you for saying it better than I did! :)

 
blog template by suckmylolly.com