Saturday, March 17, 2007

Grants and Fellowships

Today's topic: writing grants and fellowships. Last week, I started researching artist grants in Florida and soon I'll expand my search nationwide. Keeping up with the deadlines is half the battle. Florida offers several grants to professional writers (meaning the applicant cannot be enrolled in college when applying for the grant) and there are many, many pages of guidelines, rules and suggestions to follow. Nationally, there are generous screenwriting grants (the competition is quite stiff, however) and companies such as ABC and WB offer TV writing grants. ABC has a daytime and primetime writing grant, but no news is available on it at this time. :/

The WB offers a fellowship where winners live near the WB production lot and study TV writing for up to a year.

Nickelodeon offers a fellowship for writers quite like the WB's award.

Scouring the Internet for these grants and fellowships takes time, but I think it's worth it. Grants can be used to fund workshops, build a Website, buy a new laptop and other things that a writer could use.

Has anyone applied for a grant or fellowship before? If not, would you apply?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Since I'm currently not in the states, I wouldn't go for it. But it sounds like a great experience, especially since you're interested in script-writing (which I tried once but was kind of bad at...:)

I'm crossing my fingers for you!

Counting down to Saddlehill Academy!

  Hii, friends! I'm so very thrilled to remind everyone that NEXT MONTH (!!!) is the release of my first novel in eight years! Ahhhhh!!...

Total Pageviews