Thursday, June 26, 2008

How long do you keep old drafts?

Got a question for y'all. When do you recycle (meaning throw out) old drafts? If you keep them, how do you store them and/or organize them?

I looked into my closet and I've got 3 plastic tubs of printed drafts for my 3 (Eeep! I've written three!) books and a couple of postal boxes with newer drafts. I'm definitely keeping all of my edit letters and drafts my editor or agent have sent me, but what about the drafts in between? Do you hold onto those until the book is an ARC and then toss them? Or not.

I'm not sure.

I do know I want to keep the first draft of each book. But the other stuff I probably don't need. Hmm.

If I can remember, I'll try to post what book I'm reading at the end of every entry.

Today, I'm reading Wish You Were Here (HarperTeen) by Catherine Clark. Great so far! I love the postcard entries in the book.

6 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

None of my books have yet been published so I still have everything. From first to third draft. Seriously, there is no room to move. I should clean house. :)

Jessica Burkhart said...

Seriously, LOL. You might just have to move! ;)

Alyson Noel said...

I used to keep the all - but it started IMPINGING in a big way- so now I don't keep any-- I've been liberated!

Jessica Burkhart said...

Yay for feeling free, Alyson! LOL I think I'm headed in that direction. :)

Keri Mikulski said...

I keep all my drafts... Then, when I visit schools, I pass around the drafts to show the students. :) Uh, but now I'm working on my third book and the drafts are starting pile up. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Wish You Were Here. Catherine was an AOM on my blog a few months back.

I keep ALL of my drafts. Even the ones I don't finish. There's been a whole lot that I've written quite a bit in and then decided I didn't like but I have them all. I've put them all in folders in my filing thing but it's getting quite full now. I don't think I could ever part with them, though. I might like an idea I used in them and never went with. Or maybe they'd give me inspiration or help me realize how much my writing HAS improved.

But then, on the other hand, maybe it's best to only keep the MAJOR drafts (the first ones before you send them to an agent, the final one, etc) if you have a lot of them, :)

Counting down to Saddlehill Academy!

  Hii, friends! I'm so very thrilled to remind everyone that NEXT MONTH (!!!) is the release of my first novel in eight years! Ahhhhh!!...

Total Pageviews