Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fast drafting Behind the Bit

I'm in crazy-drafting stage right now! I started writing the third Canterwood Crest book, BEHIND THE BIT, and it's such a fun book to write! Horses! Boy drama! Friendship issues! I love this stage. I get into fast-drafting and try to get everything down and revise later.

I'm about 32 pages in and am going strong. Last week, though, my carpal tunnel came back with a vengeance. It made me contemplate removing my arm. Veeerrry intense pain in my elbow and wrist. Of course, it HAD to be in my right hand. Nothing worked. Not my brace, hot/cold wrap, massive doses of Aleve or an arm rest.

Ugh.

I typed with my left hand for a couple of days before deciding that was a total waste. I went to my local Office Max and picked up Dragon Naturally Speaking. Yeah, I was quite skeptical that it wouldn't work. Well...guess what? It's AWESOME. It took half an hour to set up and do voice training, but now I'm using it almost more than I type. It ROCKS. Now, I can talk if I can't type. Super sweet.

So, what's everyone working on?

PS- Congrats to Kelly Parra on her INVISIBLE TOUCH release day!!

4 comments:

Alyson Noel said...

I've always wondered about those programs--glad to hear that it works!
Though I'm sorry to hear about your carpal tunnel- I've had only a mild bout of it before, so I can only imagine how you feel!

Jacqui said...

Oh, I have been waiting years to hear about one of these that works. Can't wait to check it out.

Hope you feel better soon.

Jacqui (SproutQ from BBs)

Authorness said...

Hi, Jessica. Sorry about the CTS. Great to hear you're not letting it get you down, though. I had something similar a while back and used iListen for Mac. It made such a huge difference to my writing life.

Vanessa

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

Thank you for the release day congrats, Jess!

Counting down to Saddlehill Academy!

  Hii, friends! I'm so very thrilled to remind everyone that NEXT MONTH (!!!) is the release of my first novel in eight years! Ahhhhh!!...

Total Pageviews