Thursday, June 23, 2011

Please vote YES for New York Marrige Equality











I rarely, if ever, use this blog, (I try to keep politics to Jess Ashley) unless there is an issue that I feel overwhelmingly passionate about. Whatever your views on New York Marriage Equality this is a place for us to express our opinions WITHOUT being attacked. Everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion. I certainly have mine but I listen, which I think is respectful, and try to understand where the other person is coming from.


A current issue that affect me, Kate and many, many of our New York friends is Marriage Equality in New York. If you're not familiar with this--senators will soon be voting to make gay marriage legal. This would give loving couples the same rights and benefits as everyone else. I know someone, an author friend, who has been with his partner for several years but has not been able to marry him.


**NOTE** You do not have to live in New York to help!


My take on this issue is an overwhelming note to senators to "Please vote yes for New York Marriage Equality!" Everyone deserves the right to marry and have benefits and it's 2011--shouldn't discrimination be gone? This bill does not hurt anyone. Even if you don't agree with gay marriage do some deep thinking and consider if saying "yes" hurts you or affects you in anyway. As human beings, we don't have the right to judge one another. That's up to G-d, so why not vote "yes" and let Him decide in the end, if you don't believe in the bill.



A huge THANK YOU to my friend Amber Benson for RTweeting my NY4M Tweet. Amber played "Tara" on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

As you've see in the video about from the Human Rights Campaign this bill has gained support from many celebrities. My idol, Lady Gaga, has been encouraging her Little Monsters to get involved. She's Tweeted about the issue on Twitter asking for help to allow this bill to pass. WE, as a young generation, can make a difference. Here's a recent Tweet from her:



Lady Gaga
I feel the denial of gay marriage sends a prejudice message. Our youth deserve a fair+hopeful future with government that values us equally.
18 Junvia Twitter for BlackBerry®




I have been calling my senator, Tweeting and checking in with the Human Rights Campaign. If you'd like to educate yourself about this issue, definitely check out their Website.



If this bill is passed, it will mean everything to so many people. Plus, it will pump $184 million a year into NY's economy.


If you want to get involved, here's what YOU can do:



Tweet: "Vote yes!" to Senator Ball at ball4NY



Visit the Human Rights Campaign site to find other ways to help



Tweet this already written message or write your own:



Please call your senator, or Tweet "Yes" to as vote grows near! @HRC


If you get involved, and post what you did and show me in the comments, when I leave Kate's great-uncle's (which may be in a couple of weeks), I will draw someone's name at random for a 20 minute Skype chat with me! Or, if you don't have Skype, we can chat over the phone.



Thank you for all of your support, Team Canterwood. Much love!
























8 comments:

EmmaTheAuthor said...

Jess, I don't have a Twitter account, but if I did, I'd vote "yes". My aunts friends are gay and I know from her a little about it.
Great post!

Anna said...

That sounds great Jess. I'll totally vote yes. Just a side question...do you have a boyfriend?

Jessica Burkhart said...

EmmaTheAuthor, awesome! It's so cool that you're informed. :0

Anna, huge thank you for the yes vote!

And thanks to all who haven't commented anything disrespectful. I love having an open forum.

Connie said...

Yay! I saw on Yahoo!News that gay marriage won over in New York!!!! Yay!!! (although I don't have a Twitter so I couldn't vote)

Connie said...

A quick question: If nobody has posted a comment yet, how do you post the first one? I'm horrible with computers.

Suz said...

I don't have a Twitter either, but I vote "Yes" a bajillion times! My aunts are gay, along with my 2 great uncles. It is legal in Illinois, I know. It is also legal in California, I think. I heard that New York passed the bill! That is so great! :)

Anonymous said...

gay marriage is terrible!! it is against the bible and God hates it not trying to sound like a religous freak sorry jess but i vote no and you dont change my mind.

Anonymous said...

@ Anonymous
You are totally entitled to your own opinion, and I get that you think that it is wrong. Everyone thinks different things. But, Jesus made everyone the way he wanted them to be, so if Jesus & God didn't want anyone who was bi on this planet, they would not be put on the earth.

Counting down to Saddlehill Academy!

  Hii, friends! I'm so very thrilled to remind everyone that NEXT MONTH (!!!) is the release of my first novel in eight years! Ahhhhh!!...

Total Pageviews