Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Facebook or MySpace?

On several listservs that I belong to, the hot topic now is marketing to teens and tweens via the Internet. Especially the use of social networks such as MySpace and Facebook.

What's your take? Do you have a MySpace page? Facebook? Do you use them to market or just to make friends in the hopes those friends will purchase your novel?

This summer, I finally hopped on the MySpace train and got a page. I've been on Facebook for much longer. A while ago, I created a MySpace page for my main character of Canterwood Crest and while I'm working on it now, I'm keeping the page private until next year.

I'm interested in hearing your take on online social networks!

**In other veeerrry unrelated news** Jamie Lynn Spears (yes, Brit's sis) is pregnant. She's sixteen. Sigh.

7 comments:

Emily Marshall said...

I know I just heard that about Jamie Lynn. That's crazy.

Anyway, I love MySpace and Facebook (though, i don't use facebook as often and tend to keep it to people i know--or actually know online in some capacity).

I do know that I've read many people's books that I've found through MySpace, and it's not that time consuming to set up a page. So if you can do it, you might as well have a page. And if you want to use it as a marketing place, then don't "spam" people. I generally think it's fun to get to know your readers and potential readers, which is why I like the idea of it. But if you do it to just market your book, then I think you could anger people more than get them to buy it. But actually getting to "know" them or comment every once in awhile makes it seem like you actually care.

Okay, I just feel like none of that made sense. It's been a long day, already.

Erin said...

For authors, I think MySpace is better for networking with teens. I have met TONS of authors through my MySpace account, and with my facebook, it's like Emily said - I limit it to people I know in person or else very well online.

Anonymous said...

For marketing, it's all about MySpace. Even Tom Hanks has a MySpace page... Even I do. Granted, I don't use it much. But it's there for when I will. :)

Jessica Burkhart said...

Good take on the topic, Emily.

Thanks for the input, Erin!

Em, did you learn about Tom's page on that Oprah episode, by chance? ;)

Kelly (Lynn) Parra said...

I haven't tried FB, yet. I think it would be too many pages for me. haha! Myspace has been great connecting with authors, readers and reviewers.

Cate Gardner said...

I've actually just closed my My Space account. I do agree, it's a great place for marketing, but the pages take ages to load and then fill you computer with spam-ware (is that the right word), where all kinds of nasties attach to your computer and then bombard you with ads. Haven't tried Facebook. Have a good holiday, Cate :)

Megan said...

I'd have to say that Myspace is still the space to be if you want to appeal to teens, but Facebook is growing rapidly in popularity for the high school crowd.

Counting down to Saddlehill Academy!

  Hii, friends! I'm so very thrilled to remind everyone that NEXT MONTH (!!!) is the release of my first novel in eight years! Ahhhhh!!...

Total Pageviews