As of today, I'm just over half-way through the first draft of BEHIND THE BIT, book 3 in the Canterwood Crest series. Half-way. Mmmm. Two magical words for writers! Now, I didn't say the draft was pretty, or anything, but it's down. Ahh.
So, I've been thinking a lot about how different writing a series is compared to a standalone book. I wonder how different the draft to publication process would have been for my first book if it had been on its own. Maybe not at all. I'm not sure.
I do know I've learned a lot about series writing. Let's see...
What I've learned:
* Keep a spreadsheet of vital information like character eye color, hair color, names of siblings, etc. You swear you'll remember everyone's shoe size, but as more characters come into play the easier it becomes to confuse them. Actually, I should do this with standalones, too....
* Remember that you're writing a series! I want people to read TAKE THE REINS and say, "OMG! I have to read CHASING BLUE to find out what happens!" Don't tie up everything in one book.
* Cliffhangers are your friends. (Thanks, K!) My cliffhangers have escalated with each book.
* Torture your characters. (K, that's from you again, lol) Well, not really. But I've recently began to embrace the "a book that's happy on every page is boring" manta. I've been putting Sasha, my MC, through some tough situations that heighten with each book.
* Love your series! Obviously. If you're going for a series instead of a standalone, you MUST love your plot and characters for a while. Otherwise, it shows.
* New characters are good. Sure, you've got your main characters, but adding new people here and there keeps things fresh.
Okay, anyone else have something to add?
September 10th is World Suicide Prevention Day. Authors, readers, and bloggers are uniting again his year to fight stigma, spread mental hea...
I can FINALLY make the announcement I've been wanting to share! .... The Canterwood Crest series was optioned for a TV series or TV mo...
Which Canterwood Crest girl are you? Click here to find out! The quiz is now up on the Canterwood Crest Website! I think it's fun and...